Monday, May 23, 2011

First trip- day one


Over the weekend and towards the end of last week I tried to work a few more bags of frozen milk into the rotation so that I could save some fresh (refrigerated) for this week knowing I would be gone. Sometimes Winston doesn’t take a bottle for one reason or another, and it is always when it is frozen milk. I’m not sure if I have a lipase problem or not, but frankly, I’m too scared to check.

When I left this morning there was about 24oz in the fridge of fresh. Not much, but more than nothing. I fed him good before bed- per usual. He woke up at 1:40am, again per-usual so I just brought him to bed with us to eat as much as he wanted. Lately I have been putting him back in his pack n’ play as soon as I wake up again, or when he’s done eating (if I’m still awake), but last night I just left him in our bed so he had the all-night buffet option. My alarm went off at 4:30am and he was still snoozing away so then I picked him up and put him in his own bed. By the time I was ready to leave at 5, he still wasn’t awake –and isn’t it a sin to wake a sleeping baby? So away I went! Later I got a report from my husband that he woke up at 6am and took a bottle.

I got to the Denver airport shortly before 9:30am. I normally pump at 10am Mountain time so, the timing was perfect. First I decided to get some breakfast and then pumping was a must. I for some reason didn’t really feel like going to the bathroom and hogging a stall for 10 minutes, so I found a bench in an out of the way location in Concourse A, and went about my business.

I got out my little lunch box with all necessary equipment, put my laptop bag on top of my roller bag and rolled that in front of me, so I was actually quite shielded. I decided to just go one handed this time so I could fiddle with my black berry for entertainment with the other hand. After I had my nursing cover on I grabbed my favored pump- the Avent Isis and went to town. After the left side was done - about 4oz (and the capacity of the bottle attached) I poured the milk into a bag, and went to the right. Same story there. I poured the milk into the same bag, labeled it, and packed everything back up.

Now at this point, I don’t have any ice packs with me. I’ve read that fresh milk will stay good anywhere form 8-24 hours at room temperature. It will be about 8 hours until I get to my hotel so I’m not that worried. I suppose if I was I could go buy a cup of ice from somewhere, pour it into one of the Ziploc bags I brought and that would help.

Only one person looked at me kind of strange. It was right as I was starting. I probably did look a little funny- both hands under the nursing cover, moving around trying to get things sorted out. It was some old-man airport employee pushing an empty wheelchair. But what I’ve found is that if someone is looking at you- stare back even harder and they will usually look away!! Hahaha..

I didn’t pump again until around 5:30 (MT) after I was in my hotel room outside of Chicago and had my room service ordered. I pumped about 8oz total. I felt like I could pump more but I wanted to stop before my room service was delivered.

I told my husband to keep track of what Winston eats while I’m gone. You always hear that your pumping output is not a real indication of what the baby eats, so this should be interesting.

The hotel room fridge doesn’t have an adjustable temperature control, nor does it have the tiny freezer section. I can understand why, but it’s a bit annoying to me. I like to freeze my milk. I’m just going to try and prop it up against the back section where the cooling plate is. It feels like it could freeze thing. We’ll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment